Department of Linguistics
|CONFERENCE REGISTRATION NOW CLOSED!
Dinner reservations now closed
|What to do in Sydney|
|Campus map, (pdf)|
Diversity and Community in Applied Linguistics: Interface, Interpretation, Interdisciplinarity
International Conference, 20-22 September, 2006
- Conference flyer (PDF)
Formalising over a decade and a half of individual and group research and teaching experience, the Applied Linguistics and Language in Education Research Group (ALLE) was recently established within the Department of Linguistics at Macquarie University, Sydney, as one of the Department’s Areas of Research Concentration. The research group aims to foster interaction and collaboration among researchers in applied linguistics and language in education at Macquarie and with colleagues in other research groups and centres within Linguistics, and to promote interdisciplinary, inter-institutional and international research and program development opportunities.
As a key part of its research profile, the ALLE Research Group is planning an inaugural international conference. The aims of the conference are to celebrate and interrogate three key areas of intersection in contemporary applied linguistics:
Presentations will include invited plenaries, colloquia, round table interactive discussions, and joint and individual papers.
The purpose of the conference is to provide an opportunity for applied linguists, language researchers and language educators working in a variety of diverse and overlapping fields to consider the issues of interface, interpretation and interdisciplinarity among their communities.
Some of these issues include:
- What insights do various research methodologies offer to concerns of practice?
- How do sites of practice afford insights into research in applied linguistics?
- What synergies exist between applied linguistics and education?
- How do different applied linguistic communities interpret research findings?
- How can communities of practice interconnect with research communities most effectively?
- Where do we draw the boundaries between applied linguistic research, practice and education and how permeable are they?
- How can diversity be reconciled with community in research and practice in applied linguistics?
- How does the work of applied linguists interface with that of other disciplines?
Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur.
Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatu